Ghost—The Bastard Child of Rock and Metal

Are you ready to swear right here, right now, before the devil?

Ghost‒A Brief History

If you were on TikTok over the summer of 2022, you may have heard the song Mary on a Cross in circulation. MOAC is a song by the one and only Ghost!

Originally created in 2006, Ghost is a Swedish occult-rock/metal band. They are most well-known for their eccentric live stage presence ("rituals") and for their masked-character identities. Their music combines '70s rock and metal with satanic themes, making for an exciting (yet controversial for the metal world) experience.

According to the Ghost wiki-page, the band began when A Nameless Ghoul (Tobias Forge) continually played a guitar riff that later became their song Stand By Him. The band is inspired by horror films and "the traditions of Scandinavian metal."

When Ghost was formed, members decided to conceal their identities. 8 of the 9 members are Nameless Ghouls who wear identical face-concealing costumes. The final member is the vocalist, who is most notable in appearance; he wears a prosthetic mask with skull face paint. The vocalist character changes each album cycle, but are all played by Forge.

Papa Emeritus I (Primo) - Opus Eponymous Era

Papa Emeritus II (Secondo) - Infestissumam Era

Papa Emeritus III (Terzo) - Meliora Era

Cardinal Copia - Prequelle Era

Papa Emeritus IV (Copia) - Impera Era

Since the release of their first album in 2010, Ghost has released 5 studio albums, a live album, an EP, and two singles:

  • Opus Eponymous (2010)
  • Infestissumam (2013)
  • Meliora (2015)
  • Prequelle (2018)
  • Impera (2022)


  • If You Have Ghosts
    (EP, 2013)
    Popestar
    (Single, 2016)
    Ceremony and Devotion
    (Live, 2017)
    Seven Inches of
    Satanic Panic
    (Single, 2019)

    Frontman FeatureTobias Forge

    Tobias Forge is a Swedish singer and songwriter. He was formerly the frontman of the death-metal band Repugnant under the stage name Mary Goore, and also played guitar for the glam-metal band Crashdïet under the same name. Before and during early Ghost, Forge also was a vocalist and guitarist for the pop-rock band Subvision and a guitarist for the alternative-rock band Magna Carta Cartel.

    In the beginning of Ghost, no band member had revealed their actual identity to the public. However, in April 2017, Forge's identity was revealed following a lawsuit by former Ghost members over a royalties dispute.

    Extra Silly Tidbits

    Album Ranking


    #5: Prequelle (2018)

    Not a bad album at all–just not as memorable as it could be. I really love Pro Memoria, Life Eternal, and Dance Macabre. I also adore Miasma, one of the instrumental tracks.


    #4: Meliora (2015)

    It was so hard to put Meliora in 4th place. As the typical fan favorite, my view is definitely different. I find some songs to be amazing, and some to be fairly forgettable. Songs like Cirice, He Is, and Deus in Absentia are the stars of this album. He Is is one of my favorites of Ghost’s entire discography.

    #3: Infestissumam (2013)

    This album, as Ghost’s second album, keeps a good amount of the vibes from Opus. I like this album because it has that vibe, and is also very easy to listen to. It doesn’t get too loud, the lyrics are easy to pick up; it’s consistent, and I enjoy that. Perfect for the #3 spot. My favorites on the album are Year Zero, Ghuleh / Zombie Queen, and Per Aspera Ad Inferi.


    #2: Opus Eponymous (2010)

    Ghost’s first album. Elizabeth is one of my favorite songs, and the overall vibe of the album is immaculate. It’s very raw and creepy, which established Ghost’s vibe perfectly. Ritual and Con Clavi Con Dio are also amazing.


    #1: Impera (2022)

    My favorite album, and also my first album. Banger after banger after banger. I wish Twenties didn’t exist sometimes, but every other song on the album is too good for this not to be first place. And the progression of songs makes for a very emotionally powerful experience! I absolutely adore the instrumental tracks, and listening on vinyl also makes the experience 10x better.



    Overall, I think Ghost is a good modern gateway into the rock and metal scene. The characters, lore, and storyline make for an interesting experience on many levels. I definitely recommend looking into the story and giving the band a listen!

    Comments

    1. Hi Jeb, I am not a big rock and metal fan that is why I have never heard about this group. However, I thought the backstory that you mentioned in your post are very interesting and helps to make the group more unique for it! I think it's cool how with each album the vocalist changes his appearance. I also liked how you included many pictures in your post. This is very helpful for those who do not know who this group is, like myself.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I would not have guessed that Ghost is associated with metal based on "Mary on a Cross" alone. Tobias Forge would be an excellent singer for punk/grunge, but I appreciate his metal! I agree with your categorization of Ghost as a mix of rock and metal. It makes sense that Forge was previously a part of a glam-metal band. The lore behind the band is also intriguing! I like the article's comparison of the lore to biblical artifacts. As I write, I am listening to Impera. Thanks for the recommendations!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for sharing this, I found it really informational! I had heard of Ghost, but your post inspired me to give it a listen! Thanks for adding all of these images- it really helped me track through the history of the band! Your post flows well and your writing style is easy to read. I'm excited for what will come next week!

      ReplyDelete
    4. This blog is amazing! Looks incredible and is formatted and written very professionally. I like how passionate and knowledgeable you are about the topic. I enjoy music, pretty much only country music, so this blog has definitely made me consider broadening my musical taste.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts