System of a Down—Fundamental, One of the Best in Nu-Metal

"Father, into your hands- why have you forsaken me?"

Note: While this band is much more well-known than the others I have discussed in this blog, I feel that they should be discussed simply because they are amazing.

System of a Down—A Brief History

System of a Down, otherwise known as SOAD, is an Armenian American heavy metal/nu metal band. They were formed in Glendale, California in 1994.

According to SOAD's wikipedia page, the band began after the split of Soil (1992-1994); this was a band that consisted of three current members of SOAD.

Current members of SOAD include Serj Tankian (lead vocalist, keyboard), Daron Malakian (guitar, vocals), Shavo Odadjian (bass, backing vocals), and John Dolmayan (drums). Former members include Andy Khachaturian (drums), who left in 1997 due to a hand injury.

All members of the band are of Armenian descent, either being born to Armenian immigrants or being immigrants themselves.

The band's name is based on a poem that Malakian had written, titled "Victims of a Down." The word "victims" was changed to "system" because it was believed that it would appeal to a wider audience, and also because the group wanted their records to be alphabetically shelved closer to one of their favorite bands, Slayer.

SOAD released 5 studio albums before their split in 2006, listed below:

System of a Down, 2022

  • System of a Down (1998)
  • Toxicity (2001)
  • Steal This Album! (2002)
  • Mezmerize (2005)
  • Hypnotize (2005)


Frontman Feature—Serj Tankian



Serj Tankian is an Armenian-American singer, songwriter, political activist, and entrepreneur. Among being the lead vocalist for SOAD, he has also released 5 solo albums and has also worked on multiple film and video game soundtracks.




Silly Extra Tidbits

  • SOAD still tours, although they will likely not release new music.
  • SOAD's music includes lyrical themes of drug abuse, politics, suicide, and more.
  • B.Y.O.B. from SOAD's album Mezmerize won a Grammy Award in 2006 for Best Hard Rock Performance.

Album Ranking


#5: Steal This Album! (2002)

This is a great album. However, it just doesn't compare to their other albums. I also have not spent a lot of time listening to this album, so I could be biased. My favorite song from this album is Chic 'N' Stu.



#4: System of a Down (1998)

With songs like Suite-Pee and Sugar, this album stands out. For the band's first album, it establishes their purpose and vibe very nicely.



#3: Mezmerize (2005)

I have much stronger opinions on the next three albums. Mezmerize, with many well-known songs, places at number 3 for me. My favorites from this album are B.Y.O.B., Cigaro, and Sad Statue. I feel like this album stands out more in a musical sense than the previous albums.



#2: Hypnotize (2005)

Hypnotize is like Mezmerize, but better. As the band's newest (and likely final) album, I feel like many songs hit so hard musically and lyrically. My favorites on this album are Lonely Day, Vicinity of Obscenity, and Tentative.


#1: Toxicity (2001)

I think this album was very fundamental in establishing what SOAD is for many fans, at least those of my age. Chop Suey!, as one of my favorite songs ever, was often played on the radio when I was a kid. Along with that song, Toxicity and Aerials are some of my other favorites on the album. Musically and lyrically, this album is beautiful. It hits just right.



Thank you for reading this week's installment of Jeb's Jukebox! This may very well be the final post. However, I encourage those reading this to not only give System of a Down a listen, but to try to broaden your own music taste. There's so much music out there and so little time, so get to it!

Comments

  1. I love this!! It's not only informational, but super interesting. I am surprised at how long ago their last album was, I didn't think it was that early on that they stopped! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts